Marist College Land History: First Photo of the Bech House
This is the first photo we have of the what was to become the Bech residence. Taken around 1867, the photo shows clearly an original farm house to which was added a three story tower at the right and a wrap around porch. The addition of the tower and porch was probably by David Bartlett when he rented or owned the property for his combination house and school for the deaf (1852-1860). He and his wife had four children of their own, and took in about a half dozen deaf children.