Skip to main content

Marist College History: St. Peter's


Part of Marist College History: St. Peter's


9/8/21, 12:23 PM

The History of St. Peter's
St. Peter's (circa 1865), which originally housed the Rosenlund
Estate's gardener and his family, was purchased by the Marist
Brothers in 1908 and served until 1969 as a residence for the
Marist Brothers. It received its name because the brothers who
lived there from 1910 until 1936 taught in St. Peter's School in
Poughkeepsie. Later it was used to house some of the faculty.
A wooden addition to the front of the building was used as an
office for Brother Nilus who was constructing new buildings on the
property. Another addition facing Route 9 was built to house the
Marist College faculty. The printer, Brother Tarcisius, and the
gardeners, Brothers Abelus and Sanctus also lived there.
The print shop, located since 1937 in the basement of St. Peter's,
was used to print documents for the Marist Brothers' Province as
well as for the college. In 1947 the print shop was relocated to the
northwest wing of the new gymnasium. All of the wooden
additions to St. Peter's were demolished in 1969 when the faculty
moved to Gregory House. At that time the facade of the original
building was restored to its former design.
St. Peter's currently houses the staff of the Upward Bound
program. Founded in the spring of 1965, Marist College's program
is among the longest established in the country. It has helped
motivate and academically prepare hundreds of disadvantaged
high school students from the Hudson Valley to pursue a college
education. Upward Bound is an outstanding example of Marist's
longstanding commitment to serve the community beyond the

*click on any image to enlarge*

9/8/21, 12:53 PM
Acknowledgment Page
Project Directors
Dr. Brian Henry Desilets

Dr. Linus Richard Foy

John Patrick Noone
From the beginning, Marist Heritage has been a collaborative effort.
We appreciate the contributions of the Marist Brothers and the Marists All
community, who by supplying information and personal memories, have given vitality,
scope and depth to this project
Under the guidance and direction of Dr. Brian Henry Desilets, the initial web pages
were designed and created by the following Marist College students: Michele van
Brero (Hermitage, St. Peter's, Kieran Gate House, Greystone, Marist Brothers
Builders, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel).....Tage Haun (Bech Homestead, Marian,
Donnelly).....Fang Fang Xu (Boat House, Byrne House, Kirk House).....Courtney Gutt
(Bech Family History).....Vij lyer (Cemetery).....Rahkee Chopra (Fontaine Hall).
All the final Marist Heritage web pages were either created, revised, rewritten
and/or reshaped by John Patrick Noone, who is solely responsible for any errors
contained therein.
We thank Richard Branigan for proofreading the Marist Heritage web pages.
We recognize the contributions of our consultants: John Ansley for his input on the
format and contents of the various web pages. Also Victor VanCarpels for his
frequent consultations and guidance in the graphics included in this CD. His
patience and dedication while working with us made the overall results more
We are grateful to Barbara McMullen for the use of the Ecommerce facility at Marist
We are indebted to the McCann Foundation which provided the funds necessary to make
this project a reality.
John Patrick Noone, editor

November 15, 2002
*this page is printer ready

Marist College
Library Home Page

Acknowledgment Page.pdf

Acknowledgment Page