Skip to main content

Marist Building and Place Names.xml


Part of Building and Place Names


Marist Building and Place Names

Marist College is a state-of-the-art college, leading the country in technology and interactive media.
Its history, while relatively brief, sets the stage for Marist's continued tradition of advancement,
growth, and higher education. The history of the college's growth is vital to this tradition, and its
physical represention is seen in the growth of the campus. While there are several buildings original
to the property (Greystone, St. Peter's, and the Kieran Gatehouse), several others have been
remodeled, detroyed, moved, or used for several different purposes to suit the needs of the growing
College. Marist College currently consists of 49 buildings and 150 acres of riverfront property, but
it all started with one house and only 13 acres of land. This Web site attempts to recognize the
change and growth Marist College has seen throughout its years by offering a brief description of
each building and place name on campus. This site also hopes to offer a snapshot of how Marist
continues to grow, develop, and improve not only its structural beauty, but also the minds of its
students, its ideals, and its educational excellence.
The Adrian Building

The Adrian building was named after Brother Adrian August who was a Chemistry and Music
professor at Marist College. This was one of the buildings constructed almost exclusively by the
Marist Brothers, and was completed in 1957. It was a small one-story building located across the
road from Donnelly Hall. Its first use was as a place where students could meet with guests. Day
students used it as a place to study, eat lunch, and relax. It contained a sitting room, an
entertainment audio center, and an office for Brother Nilus Donnelly. In later years it served the
needs of the Alumni office and the Marist Poll. It was removed in 2000 for the construction of the
James A. Cannavino Library. The commuter lounge was moved to the Student Center and the
Alumni office and Marist Poll were both relocated to the new Fontaine Hall.
Beck Place Parking Lot

In the mid-1800s, Edward Bech, founder of the Tuckerman and Bech Iron Comany, purchased
Hickory Grove, a 65 acre farm along the Hudson River, which he then renamed "Rosenlund."
Although the main house was never built, the three service buildings still remain in the heart of the
Marist campus: Kieran Gatehouse, Greystone Carriage house, and St. Peter's. In 1908, the Marist
Brothers purchased the Edward Bech estate, by then a 110-acre plot of land, to expand the
Hermitage that had been purchased in 1905. This plot of land is the current location of Marist
College, west of Route 9 and as far North as Fern Tor and St. Ann's Hermitage. The Beck Place
Parking Lot is located across from the Marist Campus and is used as a lot for commuters, visitors,
and an over-flow lot for underclassmen with cars.
Benoit & Gregory Houses

Benoit & Gregory Houses were erected in 1968 as residences for the Marist Brothers living on
campus. Both houses were constructed identically: the main section, octagonal in design, contains
sixteen bedrooms allowing for Benoit and Gregory to house thirty-two students each. Benoit House
honors the memory of Brother Fancis Xavier Benoit who taught at Marist for nineteen years, while
serving also as a Director of Construction for the Marist Brothers. Gregory House was named in
memory of Brother Joseph Gregory Marchessault who was chairman of the Physics Department at
Marist until the time of his death in 1969.
The Byrne House

The Byrne House was built in the early days of the expansion of Marist College in 1960. It was
built as a residence for the Dominicas Fathers, who were at that time chaplains at the College. After
this application, it was used as a location for the campus nurse and counseling activities. At the
present time, it is being used as the school ministry and student counseling center. It is located in
the back of Champagnat Hall, overlooking the Hudson.
The Byrne House is named after Brother George Frances Byrne, F.M.S. Brother George was born
in Western New York in 1908. He became a Marist Brother in July of 1926 and in 1949 he came to
Marist College to teach History. Brother George passed away in October of 1953. He is buried in
the Marist Brothers' Cemetery on campus.
Champagnat Hall

Champagnat Hall, the tallest building on campus, was constructed in 1964. Named to honor the
memory of Marcellin Champagnat, the French priest who founded the Marist Brothers in 1817, the
nine-story residence hall houses over 400 first-year students. Residents have dramatic views of the
Hudson River Valley, north and south. Special Services offices are located on the first floor.
Champagnat was renovated in 2003 and is one of two residence halls with immediate access to the
Student Center.
Donnelly Hall

The Donnelly building was built on the land between the Kieran Gate House and the Bech family
home. The Bech family home served as a Novitiate for the Marist Brothers as well as a residence
for the Brothers who volunteered to help build Donnelly Hall.
The construction of this building was a mammoth task considering the fact that the workers were
schoolteachers who were untrained in construction work. Brother Nilus Donnelly, for whom the
building is named, directed all the work and operated the heavy machinery.
After three summers of hard labor, the building took its final shape in 1962. It was at this time that
Marian College, as it was called then, began accepting resident lay students. Since there was no
dormitory, a last minute modification of the Donnelly building was made for this purpose. At that
time, there was a total of eight resident students.

Donnelly was the main classroom building for the next 10 years. In 1985, Donnelly was renovated.
The ramp surrounding the building became part of the interior of the building. External walls were
built and the rooms, which were on the outside of the building, were enlarged by absorbing the
space occupied by the ramp. Over the years, Donnelly Hall has served as headquarters for nearly
every college activity. It currently houses the School of Science, science labs, the Fashion Program,
photography darkrooms, lecture halls, classrooms, administrative offices including Security, the
Registrar, Financial Aid, Information Technology, Human Resources, the computer store, a coffee
shop, and the Copy Center.
Dyson Center

The Dyson Center was completed in 1990 and is named in honor of the late businessman and
philanthropist Charles H. Dyson and his late wife Margaret. The three-story Dyson Center houses
the School of Management, which recently added online M.P.A. and M.B.A. degree programs to its
offerings. Also located here are the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, the Office of
Graduate and Continuing Education, the Bureau of Economic Research, and corporate education
and training programs. The 53,000 square-foot Dyson Center holds 23 classrooms and 55 faculty
offices as well as seminar rooms and a computer lab. The building's coffee shop and its three-story
atriums are popular areas for students to meet and relax between classes.
Fern Tor

Fern Tor is the 13 acre estate acquired by Marist College in 1997. The estate, at the campus's
northern boundary, is a quiet retreat rich with trees, wild flowers, herbs, shrubs, wildlife and several
ecological habitats. It is graced by a Hudson River view and 800 feet of shoreline. The land
remained undeveloped until 1861 when Thomas Newbold purchased it for the site of his family's
home. By the 1880s Newbold had constructed a mansion with a southern vista of the Hudson River,
a summerhouse, formal gardens, greenhouses, a man-made pond, and a carriage house. Frederick
Newbold inherited the estate from his father, and Frederick named the property Fern Tor after its
ferns and rocky hills. The next generation of Newbolds sold the property to the Way family, who
transformed the carriage house into their home and eventually sold the parcel to Marist. The
foundations are all that remain of the mansion, which marked the highest point on the Marist
Now environmental science and non-science majors are benifitting greatly from Fern Tor.
Previously only science majors could go on the field trips necessary to make field observations,
because travel and access were too difficult to arrange for large classes of non-science majors. Now
any Marist student can walk to this undisturbed area to use it as an ecological lab or to just enjoy
the peace and quiet.
Fontaine Hall

Fontaine Hall was named after Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine, FMS. President Emeritus and a
Life Trustee of the College, Brother Paul played an integral role in shaping Marist during its early
years. The original Fontaine Hall served as a study hall and dining room for the student Brothers at
Marist College, although its purpose varied as the College expanded. It was constructed by the

Marist Brothers in 1956, and later an addition was made to serve as a dormitory for the student
Brothers. Subsequently, the addition was used as an office building for the Humanities Division.
The original part of the building served as a library until shortly before the Cannavino Library was
built. With the decision to construct the Cannavino Library on the same site, the original Fontaine
Hall was razed and new Fontaine Hall was built to house the offices of the School of Liberal Arts
on the northern end of campus.
From its opening in May of 2000, new Fontaine Hall has housed the School of Liberal Arts office
and faculty, the Office of College Advancement, which includes the offices of Public Affairs and
the Alumni Affairs. The Marist College Institute for Public Opinion (MIPO) which used to be
housed here has been moved to the third floor of the Hancock Building. The building also holds
four classrooms and a multimedia "black box" theatre, and two conference rooms, including the
striking Henry Hudson Room - a large conference space with skylights and a beautiful view of the
Foy Townhouses

The Foy Townhouses were built in 1982 and are named after President Emeritus and Life Trustee,
Dr. Linus Richard Foy. Dr. Foy was named President of Marist College in 1958 and became, at the
age of 28, the youngest college president in the United States. He served as President of Marist
College from 1958 to 1979, and made countless contributions to the continued development and
success of the College
The Foy Townhouses accomodate 210 students in three buildings overlooking the Hudson River.
Each of the three buildings is divided into seven three-story town houses with living, dining, and
lounging areas, as well as terraces overlooking the Hudson. Each town house has space for ten
students - the main floor consists of a full kitchen and large common area, upstairs there are three
bedrooms and two bathrooms, and on the lowest level there is another small common area, one
bathroom, and two bedrooms. A specially designed annex was built to accommodate qualified,
physical handicapped students. These town houses currently house sophomore students.
Gartland Commons

The Gartland Commons were built in 1985. The fifty-two unit apartments accommodate 306
students in four buildings. Overlooking the Hudson River, each apartment provides a living room,
bathroom, three bedrooms, and a fully equipped kitchen with nearby recreational facilities.
The Gartland Commons are named in honor of John J. Gartland, Jr., long time Marist College
Benefactor, Board Member, and Advisor. John Gartland, better known as Jack, was born in 1914 in
Poughkeepsie and past away in 2003. He was admitted to the bar in 1939 and later joined the law
firm that bears his name after beginning practice in Poughkeepsie in 1946. During World War II,
Gartland served in the U.S. Army Air Force, discharged with the rank of major. He earned a
bachelor's of science degree from Georgetown University in 1935 and earned law degrees from
Fordham and St. John's. Marist awarded Gartland with a doctorate in humane letters in 1980. He
served on the boards of numerous local organizations, including Marist, the Astor Home, New
York Archdiocese Catholic Charities and St. Mary's Church, just to name a few. He was also

honored by the pope as a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre, one of the highest honors the church can
bestow upon a lay person.
As a lawyer and longtime head of the the charitable McCann Foundation, Jack Gartland's influence
and vision of what the area could become have made this part of the Hudson Valley what it is
today. His work spanned all aspects of life from the arts and education to recreation and religion.

Greystone is one of three Marist buildings that were part of the Rosenlund Estate purchased by the
Marist Brothers in 1908. Listed on the state and national Registers of Historic Places, Greystone
dates to around 1865 when it was built as a carriage house; a hayloft occupied the top floor,
carriages and horse the middle floor, and a blacksmith shop occupied the lowest level. Through
remodeling in 1909, 1928, and 1964, the building has served as a dormitory, classrooms, science
labs, and a library. Since 1964 the building has housed the office of the College President.
Greystone closely resembled the style of St. Peter's and the Kieran Gatehouse when it was first
constructed. When the College was first established and was still known as Marian College, the
renovated carriage house was surrounded by wooden structures. The carriage house was nicknamed
"Greystone" by the Marist Brothers on campus because of its distinctive stonewalls. The name was
made official in 1929 when the junior college was established.
James A. Cannavino Library

The Library is named after James A. Cannavino, a long-time Trustee and former Chairman of the
Board. Developed as part of the worldwide Digital Library Initiative launched by the IBM
Corporation to facilitate anytime, anywhere access to books, periodicals, works of art, film, music,
and rare manuscripts, the Cannavino Library is a model for academic libraries of the new century.
Overlooking the campus green and the Hudson River, this 83,000-square-foot facility is a state-of-
the-art electronic teaching and service center at the hub of an electronic network linking all parts of
the Marist campus to libraries and databases throughout the world. In addition to providing a
number of spacious study areas and attractive quiet rooms for research, conferences, and
collaborative work, the Library also houses the Archives and Special Collections rooms, an office
overlooking the campus for the College President, and a multi-media language center on the third
floor. A small cafe on the main floor of the Library also provides the students with a gathering
place where they can have a bite to eat, drink coffee, and not have to worry quite as much about the
level of their voices.
James J. McCann Recreation Center

The McCann Center is home to Marist College’s intercollegiate, intramural, and recreational
athletics programs. The original 57,200 square-foot McCann Center, including a field house,
Olympic swimming pool, dance studio, and weight room, was built in 1977 with funding from the
James J. McCann Foundation. The McCann Foundation again gave its support to construct a
20,000 square-foot addition that opened in 1997. The expansion features an 11,000 square-foot
multipurpose gymnasium, a 4,300 square-foot weight training area, a 4,000 square-foot
cardiovascular area, a student lounge and locker rooms, and the electronic Pepsi Athletic Hall of

Fame, a multimedia room and computer lab honoring athletes and teams from Marist College and
surrounding Dutchess County.
The McCann Center was named after James J. McCann, who was born in Poughkeepsie in 1880.
He and his family operated the McCann Feed and Grain Store on Main Street, and McCann
eventually amassed a large estate through the stock market. In 1967, two years before his death,
McCann established the McCann Foundation, which began awarding money in 1969 for
"progressive human welfare work."
Kieran Gatehouse

Listed on the state and national Registers of Historic Places, the Kieran Gatehouse dates to 1865
and was a gatehouse on the estate purchased by the Marist Brothers in 1908. This quaint cottage
has remained in constant use, first as a headquarters for the Poughkeepsie Province of the Marist
Brothers and then as office space and a private residence. Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine used the
Gatehouse as his office during his tenure as President of the College. The Gatehouse was renamed
the Kieran Gatehouse in October 1990 when it was dedicated to the late Brother Kieran Thomas
Brennan. Not only was Brother Brennan a long-time trustee of Marist College, but he was also the
director of student Brothers from 1954 to 1964.
The Kirk House

Professor Daniel Kirk, former Chairman of the Psychology Department, built the Kirk House in
1976 for his private residence. Dr. Kirk generously willed his home to Marist College. It became
the residence of the Marist College Catholic Chaplain and continues to be used for this purpose
Leo Hall

The Construction for Leo Hall was funded with a federal government loan, and the dorm opened in
1963. When women were invited to live on campus in 1969 they first occupied the sixth floor of
Leo Hall. Currently used as a coed residence for freshman, it is dedicated to the memory of Brother
Leo Brouiletter, Provincial of the Marist Brothers, from 1921-1930. Brother Leo was responsible
for securing the original charter for the Marist Normal Training School in 1929.
Leonidoff Field

Leonidoff Field, Marist College's first major athletic field, is an outdoor stadium that provides
seating for over 3,000 spectators for home soccer, lacrosse, and football games. The athletic field is
named after Dr. Aleski A. Leonidoff and was dedicated in 1968. Raised and educated in Russia,
Aleski Leonidoff developed a relationship with Marist College through Jack Gartland. During his
tenure as a physician at St. Francis Hospital, Dr. Leonidoff donated money to the College for the
construction of the Leonidoff Athletic Field. Dr. Leonidoff also donated funds to suport a
scholarship for students specializing in science pre-medical studies.

Lowell Thomas Center

The Lowell Thomas Communications Center houses the academic disciplines of communications
and computer science. Features of the center, which opened in 1987, include the Charles and
Cornelia Murray Journalism Room, which offers everything students need to write, edit, and
present printed news. The building holds five classrooms with computer and television access, two
television studios, two radio broadcast production rooms, and film processing areas. These
facilities, along with adjacent faculty offices, meet the demands of almost 700 undergraduate
students annually who concentrate in communications, Marist's largest major. The building is
named after Lowell Thomas, who was a pioneer in the field of communications, an author, and a
world traveler.
Marian Hall

The present Marian building was built as a gym in 1948. This was the first large building put up by
the Marist Brothers on what is now the Marist College campus. Brother Francis Xavier, who at the
time taught Philosophy and Psychology at the College, supervised the work. "Frank," as he was
known, was a man of all trades and as much a contractor as he was a professor.
The building was constructed entirely by the Brothers, with the exception of the bricklayers and
steamfitters. The student Brothers helped by mixing concrete for the masons, carrying the pipes for
the steam fitters, unloading the trucks delivering the cinder blocks and bricks, doing the carpentry
with Brother Paul Ernest (the Professor of Physics), and operating the jack hammer, as well as
other such tasks as were needed.
The building was used primarily as a gym with other facilities installed in the wings. These
facilities included a carpenter shop, a printing shop, a laundry room, garages, and storage space.
In 1983 the old gym was transformed into a dormitory; the wings of the original building were
renovated in order to make a second floor and the gym portion was also transformed into a two-
story dormitory. The building stands at the center of the campus and currently houses mostly first
and second year students.
The Martin Boathouse

The Martin boathouse was built in 1963 in memory of William Martin who was the chairman for
the fund drive to build the boathouse. The boathouse was built to house the rowing and sailing
equipment of Marist College. There are two ramps leading directly from the boathouse into the
Hudson, which are used to launch the crew boats and the sailboats. Initially, Marist competed in
sailing and crew. Blue Jays were used in sailing competition and pleasure sailing for the students
and faculty of Marist College. These were 13-foot wooden sloop rigged boats. In 1966 the Blue
Jays were replaced by Barnegates, which were 19-foot fiberglass sloops. These could carry up to
six people, but were also used in competition with a crew of two. Smaller boats later replaced the
Barnegates. Marist crew has been very active in the competitive sports world since the early 1960s.

New Townhouses

The New Townhouses were built in 1993 and accommodate 144 junior and senior students in six
buildings overlooking the Hudson River. Each building has a number of units with space for eight
students, including living, dining, and lounging areas. The complex has its own central laundry
facility. Some units are avaliable to accommodate qualified, physical handicapped students.
Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel

When the chapel was built in 1953, its circular design was one of the first for a Catholic church in
the United States. The altar dominates the center with the congregation intimately flowing
completely around it. It was not until the Second Vatican Council in 1965 that churches began to
move their altars into a similar relationship with their parishioners.
Acting as contractor and using simple building techniques, Brother Nilus Donnelly built the chapel
with Marist Brothers' labor.
Instead of stained glass windows, Brother Nilus borrowed an idea of Eastman Kodak that he had
seen displayed in Grand Central Station. He lined the upper inner perimeter of the chapel with
photographic images of the Virgin Mary. On sheets of heavy plastic he embedded the images of a
model portraying the Madonna with accompanying quotes from scripture. The plastic sheets were
suspended on springs which compensated for the expansion from the sunlight and the contraction
during the night.
Depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary was a professional model, Rita Hunt. She and her husband were
friends of Brother Nilus and she did the work gratis. In a subsequent photo of the Descent of the
Holy Spirit on Mary and the Apostles, taken for the adjacent study hall, the photographer used the
same model along with some Marist Brothers construction workers as the apostles. Unfortunately,
over the years, the images have faded through the bleaching action of the sun. Recently stained
glass windows were installed in the Chapel depicting scenes from around the Hudson River Valley.
Through its serenity and spirituality, Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel forms the core, the anchor,
and the inspiration for the Marist College campus.
St. Ann's Hermitage

In 1905, with the help of Father H. Havens Richards, SJ, St. Ann's Hermitage was the first building
in Poughkeepsie purchased by the Marist Brothers. It had previously been the homestead of the
Mac Pherson family. Brother Zepheriny, FMS, purchased this estate from its owner, Mrs. Goodwin
of New York City. The property, which was at the time a mile outside of the City of Poughkeepsie,
included some 35 acres north of the Waterworks Road and sold for $9,000.00. This building was
used as a Provincial House until the early fifties. In addition to the provincial administration, it also
housed the Scholastics usually numbering around 75 students. There was a chapel with a pipe organ
where a Jesuit from St. Andrew's celebrated daily mass. Also living in this building was a
community consisting of the provincial tailors who made the cassocks for all the Brothers of the
province. Others living in this building included a director, a cook, several young brothers to help

in the tailor shop, in the garden, and with the laundry, a farmer who took care of the cows and pigs,
and two farmers who took care of an extensive vegetable garden and a green house which was
located across from St. Peter's. The infirmary, which had from 5 to 13 Brothers who needed
medical attention, was also located in this building.
Between 1955 to 1957 the original Fontaine Hall was built to house the scholastics, the faculty was
moved to St. Peter's, and the infirmary was relocated to Tyngsboro, Massachusetts. The farmers
were moved to St. Peter's leaving the Hermitage empty. In 1958, it was decided the building should
be demolished. However, before the demolition was completed the building caught fire and burned
to the ground.
In 1997 the College purchased a private residence that has been renamed St. Ann's in memory of
the building that served the Marist Brothers for over 50 years. This former home is part of the 13-
acre estate known as Fern Tor, adjacent to Marist College's northern boundary. A previous resident
of Fern Tor was Thomas Newbold, one of the founders of the Horticultural Society of New York
and an uncle of Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer Edith Wharton.
St. Peter's

Built circa 1865, St. Peter's originally housed the Rosenlund Estate's gardener and his family. The
Marist Brothers purchased the estate in 1908 and until 1969, St. Peter's served as a residence for the
Marist Brothers. Currently it houses administrative offices. It is named St. Peter's because the
Brothers who lived there from 1909 until 1936 taught in St. Peter's school in Poughkeepsie.
Later, as the number of Brothers attached to the Scholasticate (the post High School) grew, St.
Peter's was used to house some of the faculty. An addition was put on the front of the building
toward the road passing in front of it. This addition was used as an office for Brother Nilus
Donnelly, who was constructing new buildings on the property. Another addition was built on the
side of St. Peter's facing Route 9. This part of the building housed faculty of Marist College as well
as the printer Brother Tarcisius and Gardeners Brother Abelus and Brother Sanctus. It also housed
the print shop, which was used to print documents for the Marist Brothers Province as well as the
College. These additions were demolished in 1969, when the print shop was moved to the gym and
the faculty was moved to Benoit House and the facade of the original building was restored to its
former design.
St. Peter's currently houses the staff of the Upward Bound program. Founded in the spring of 1965,
Marist College's program is among the longest established in the country. It has helped motivate
and academically prepare hundreds of disadvantaged high school students from the Hudson Valley
to pursue a college education. Upward Bound is an outstanding example of Marist's longstanding
commitment to serve the community beyond the campus.
Sheahan Hall

In March of 1961 Brother Linus Richard Foy, President of Marist College, received confirmation
for a government loan for a dormitory that would accommodate 120 students and three faculty
advisors. This was the first building on the property that was not constructed by the Marist Brothers

since the property was purchased in 1908. Sheahan Hall was one of the first dormitories where
women lived when the College became a coeducational institution in 1969. It currently houses
freshman students and is named in memory of Monsignor J. F. Sheahan, pastor of St. Peter's
Church in Poughkeepsie. Monsignor Sheahan used his influence to help the Brothers purchase the
Bech Estate in 1908. Today this property forms the entire Marist College campus south of the
Waterworks Road (the main entrance to the campus).
Steel Plant Studio

The Marist College Art Gallery is a 3,200 square-foot space located in the Steel Plant Studios along
with the Fine Arts Program. It was purchased in 1997 to house the college library temporarily while
the new James A. Cannavino Library was under construction. After the library was built, the old
industrial site was renovated to become the Steel Plant Studios. The building houses several studios
including: a 2D/Graphic Desin Studio, Drawing and Painting Studios, a 3D/Sculpture Studio, a
Special Processes & Techniques Studio, a fully equipped Digital Media Studio, and a new 2,500
square-foot Art Gallery. The Art Gallery retains the industrial look of the former steel plant with
concrete floors and exposed 15-foot ceilings. The exhibition program focuses primarily on
contemporary regional artists working in all fine arts media.
Student Center

The Student Center serves as the focal point of the College, bringing together all members of the
Marist Community.
The original building, a 66,000 square foot, three story structure, was completed in 1965.
Renovations and expansion during the summer of 1994 added an additional 63,000 square feet. The
Student Center is connected to the Mid-Rise Residence Hall by a three-story domed and columned
rotunda which provides the main entry into both the Student Center and the residence area. There is
also a 4 acre campus green adjacent to the Student Center overlooking the Hudson River. A glass-
enclosed south entry connects the Student Center with Champagnat Hall. The Champagnat
Courtyard, which leads into the entry, was redesigned in 1989 through the generosity of the Reese
The Center provides various student services and serves as a comfortable place for students to
meet, organize and attend a variety of events. Facilities and services within the Student Center
include: classroom and meeting rooms, theatre, performing arts room, music practice rooms, dining
services, health services, billiards/video game room, commuter lounge, student government offices,
student radio and television studios, campus post office, and video rentals.
Talmadge Court Apartments
The Talmadge Court Apartments were purchased in 1996 and are located about one-quarter of a
mile from the south entrance of Marist College. The complex contains 11 apartments, consisting of
nine two-bedroom units and two one-bedroom units. Profesional housing staff live on-site with the

West Cedar

West Cedar is divided into two sections across Route 9 on West Cedar Street. The two sections,
Lower (labled O-S and completed in 1998) and Upper (labeled T-Y and completed in 2000)
together accommodate 468 students in twelve buildings. Each building has a number of units with
space for either eight or eleven students, including living, dining, and lounging areas. The complex
has its own central laundry facility. The students in West Cedar enjoy a community-like life just off
campus to experience the independance of being a little farther away, and yet close enough to enjoy
the comforts of Marist security.
Revised: 2010 June 22

Marist Building and Place Names

The Adrian Building
Beck Place Parking Lot
Benoit & Gregory Houses
The Byrne House
Champagnat Hall
Donnelly Hall
Dyson Center
Fern Tor
Fontaine Hall
Foy Townhouses
Gartland Commons
James A. Cannavino Library
James J. McCann Recreation Center
Kieran Gatehouse
The Kirk House
Leo Hall
Leonidoff Field
Lowell Thomas Center
Marian Hall
The Martin Boathouse
New Townhouses
Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Chapel
St. Ann's Hermitage
St. Peter's
Sheahan Hall
Steel Plant Studio
Student Center
Talmadge Court Apartments
West Cedar