Listed on the state and national Registers of Historic Places, the Kieran Gatehouse dates to 1865 and was a gatehouse on the estate purchased by the Marist Brothers in 1908. This quaint cottage has remained in constant use, first as a headquarters for the Poughkeepsie Province of the Marist Brothers and then as office space and a private residence. Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine used the Gatehouse as his office during his tenure as President of the College. The Gatehouse was renamed the Kieran Gatehouse in October 1990 when it was dedicated to the late Brother Kieran Thomas Brennan. Not only was Brother Brennan a long-time trustee of Marist College, but he was also the director of student Brothers from 1954 to 1964. (Source: Building & Place Names)
The Kieran Gatehouse (circa 1865), had served as the gatehouse to the Rosenlund Estate purchased by the Marist Brothers in 1908. This quaint cottage has remained in constant use, first as a residence for some teaching and working brothers and then as headquarters for the Poughkeepsie Province of the Marist Brothers, a faculty residence and subsequently as office space and a private home.
In October 1990, it was dedicated to the memory of Brother Kieran Thomas Brennan who had been the director of student brothers from 1957-1964. A founder and longtime trustee of Marist College (1959- 1974), he was then named a Life Trustee. Brother Brennan died on September 5, 1989.
Brother Paul Ambrose Fontaine, the first President of Marist College (1946-1958) lived at Kieran from 1989 to 2000. (Source: Marist College History: Kieran Gatehouse)