Elverhoj Art Colony
Located on Old Indian Rd. in Milton, south of Highland in Ulster County.
Elverhoj means "hill of elves" in Danish.
An art colony founded in 1912 by Johannes Morten and Anders H. Anderson, painters and silversmiths from Denmark. They purchased 30 acres and a mansion in 1912. The mansion was believed to have been built in the 1760s. The property previously belonged to Captain Sherbourne Sears. The colony operated until 1934 when it was foreclosed upon and in 1938 it was purchased by Father Divine, an African American spiritual leader. In 1952, it was sold to the Northeastern Conference of Seventh Day Adventists.
The Wisconsin crews stayed in tents on the property and not in the mansion itself. The mansion still stands and is now a private residence.