Built in various locations along the Hudson River, primarily on the Highland shore.
These long (60+ feet) wood plank buildings were built parallel to the shore with a ramp at one end that led to a floating dock or float. The boathouses were built side by side with the entrances at opposite ends so crews would not run into each other as they pulled away from the float. These buildings were constructed by local citizens and funding for them came from their fundraising efforts and not from the universities. The boathouses on the Highland shore were considered property of the West Shore Railroad as the only way to access them was to cross the tracks.
They were primarily used for boat and equipment storage, though some had showers that used river water and lockers for crew members. These buildings were only used by crews during the regatta and were not maintained during the rest of the year. This often led to many necessary repairs or a full rebuild prior to the crews' arrival for the regatta. They were used by a number of crews into the 1940s. By the time of the Regatta's return in 1947, they were no longer in use, though some were still standing. Crews instead shared the permanent boathouses belonging to Navy and Columbia or those at "Regatta Row," which afforded them storage and accommodations.
None of these boathouses survived.